Keylight v. DV Matte Pro
C***@adobeforums.com
2009-04-02 16:14:31 UTC
I'm using Keylight with a green screen chromakey and MPEG files from my FX1 (not a great idea, I know).
Is DV Matte Pro for After FX worth considering?
Chummy
C***@adobeforums.com
2009-04-02 21:13:03 UTC
Keylight is a great tool and so is DVmattePro. More a question of how you like each interface. They both work great.
A***@adobeforums.com
2009-04-02 23:05:48 UTC
Chummy:
Keylight is an extraordinary keying technology. In fact, it's used for very high end keying in VFX work all the time. But it works best when you feed it footage with adequate color sampling for keying. If not, it will pull a key perfectly... which for undersampled formats like DV or HDV could mean revealing ugly stair steps in the matte edges.

DV Matte Pro, from what I saw, is very good at pulling a key while disguising the flaws of the 4:2:0 color sampling grid in those formats. So if you're trying to key DV or HDV footage, it can be an excellent product.

Adolfo Rozenfeld - Adobe
C***@adobeforums.com
2009-04-03 10:12:18 UTC
Adolfo,
Thanks for the reply. The problem I have is with HDV and in particular, with getting a good solid black within the mask.
I heard somewhere that DV Matte Pro works better with HDV so that was the reason for asking.
So do you have any tips for working with Keylight and HDV to get better blacks?
Or maybe I could try another and better recording format, such as XD CAM from a Sony EX1 (which would mean another camera!)?
Or another idea, which I haven't fully got to terms with, is bypassing the HDV recording format from the FX1 and using the component output to capture via a suiable card in my PC.
Chummy